Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any way to decrease CPU usage?

Any way to decrease CPU usage?

I don't think it's specific to any version of Viivo, but I've recently become more and more aware that Viivo (currently 2.1.37) is constantly checking for updates. It generally runs between 1-4% CPU, but even when there are no new files, or changed files, or deleted files, etc. it jumps up to 10-20% for a few seconds and then drops back down. The Dropbox app itself doesn't do anything like this.... and it also constantly is checking for updates... but I don't know if that is because some processing is done off the local machine...

I honestly, wouldn't mind it all that much... but because of this my fans are constantly running as my processor is never below 10% for more than 15-20 seconds. This is a dual boot system running on a 2.2 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro. Windows is installed under Boot Camp (so it isn't virtualized/emulated, and runs natively.) None of the other programs I have cause this type of oddity.

I should also mention that I don't have this issue on the Mac side running 2.1.23 on Mountain Lion.

I just made a quick video using Process Explorer to illustrate what I mean... https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f4qva2azk...PU%20Video.mp4

If you need more info. let me know.

@maxsverdlove

First of all, thank you for the feedback.

**Note your video link is not working, so I had to make some assumptions.

Viivo is doing many things will idle including normal talking to the server, but Viivo sync is most likely the culprit for the High CPU usage you speak of.

In the current release (OSX|2.1.23 and Win|2.1.37):
    Every 30 sec we scan the folder structure of the Viivo folder and the Viivo-Encrypted Folder for any files/folders that are new/deleted/renamed/edited/ect. The amount of time this takes depends on the hardware, which I don't think you have a problem with, and the amount of files/folders Viivo needs to scan. Viivo normally sits at anywhere from 5-15% during this time. OSX and Windows file systems are different and can result in different values.

In a future release:
    We have set up a file system watcher to watch those folder locations for changes. So as long as Viivo is running, we are watching for activity, instead of scanning every 30sec. When Viivo is alerted by the watcher we scan only the folder that caused the alert. Viivo sync sits idle otherwise, 0-1%. (Since we are in a video mood, here is preview)

This release I speak of is in QA right now and will be coming to the public soon.

If you do update the video link, I'm more than happy to view and give comments regarding it.

So to answer the question: In the current release, there is nothing that can be done to reduce the CPU usage regarding sync.
    Please let me know if there are any more questions or feedback.
    Alex Robertson
    Software Engineer

PKWARE, Inc.
    www.PKWARE.com

Sorry bout that, didn't realize that it removed that file when I closed the screen capture editor... Thanks to Dropbox, a quick restore brings it right back and the link should work again!

Your explanation sounds about right... I do believe it's about 30 seconds come to think of it. I have one folder with a ton of files in it (I store PDFs of receipts of things I buy online, stuff like that). That isn't synced to the Mac, so that could explain why it doesn't happen on that machine.

And I like the file system watcher idea!

Thanks!

Yeah, sorry about that. We are really excited to get the watcher out into the world. We are just making sure it is perfect before sending it out the door.

I watched the video, I can hear the poor fan running.

-Alex
    Alex Robertson
    Software Engineer

PKWARE, Inc.
    www.PKWARE.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    @maxsverdlove

First of all, thank you for the feedback.

**Note your video link is not working, so I had to make some assumptions.

Viivo is doing many things will idle including normal talking to the server, but Viivo sync is most likely the culprit for the High CPU usage you speak of.

In the current release (OSX|2.1.23 and Win|2.1.37):
    Every 30 sec we scan the folder structure of the Viivo folder and the Viivo-Encrypted Folder for any files/folders that are new/deleted/renamed/edited/ect. The amount of time this takes depends on the hardware, which I don't think you have a problem with, and the amount of files/folders Viivo needs to scan. Viivo normally sits at anywhere from 5-15% during this time. OSX and Windows file systems are different and can result in different values.

In a future release:
    We have set up a file system watcher to watch those folder locations for changes. So as long as Viivo is running, we are watching for activity, instead of scanning every 30sec. When Viivo is alerted by the watcher we scan only the folder that caused the alert. Viivo sync sits idle otherwise, 0-1%. (Since we are in a video mood, here is preview)

This release I speak of is in QA right now and will be coming to the public soon.

If you do update the video link, I'm more than happy to view and give comments regarding it.

So to answer the question: In the current release, there is nothing that can be done to reduce the CPU usage regarding sync.
    Please let me know if there are any more questions or feedback.
    Any indication as to when this new version will be out of testing and released? Overall, I am very happy with Viivo, as I have tried many of the competing products- can't beat the encryption coupled with automatic compression. However, I do feel that the application is very inefficient the way that it stands now. I have a good mind to put a hold on my usage until this CPU utilization problem is remedied. At present, my machine is being incredibly taxed as a result of the periodic "scanning." PLEASE, PLEASE fix this! This is the one fly in the ointment.

In spite of this flaw, I love Viivo and wish to see it continue to mature into an excellent solution. Would love to see Viivo handle multiple cloud storage solutions on the same machine and user profile - I understand this is in the works too. Lastly, Android Google Drive support.

thanks,
    -=Adam

Viivo Staff
    Hey Adam,

Thanks for the feedback. The new Viivo sync is coming out very soon. We have it in QA and are seeing fantastic sync results. As for multiple cloud storage solutions, once we have the improved sync we will be address having multiple clouds at 1 time. Android Google Drive support (along with ALL clouds) is also in QA too. If you are interested in trying out a beta version of the Android app, we could add you to the group (you have to assume all risks along with joining the beta app ). Just PM me your google play email address.

Still having the spiking issue in the 2.3 Preview... Just figured I'd repost that here...

Viivo Staff
    So we have an idea of what the spike is caused by, but not sure why it's actually spiking. We poll the server every 30 seconds or so for updates to your identity. So if you need new keys (a new share), or your password has changed or something along those lines your client responds to the action. This request was designed to be more taxing on the Viivo server and NOT on your desktop, but it sounds like thats not the case for you.

Is the spike in CPU occurring on all your devices? Do you mind sharing the specs on your hardware? We might have something internally similar to allow us to test on that type of a device to see if we can replicate it. When you say spike, what is it going to /from on 2.3.23?

Thanks again for the feedback

It only seems to do it on my Windows machine... Again, I'm using this on a MacBook Pro using Boot Camp (native install, not virtualized or emulated, so it should be just like as if it was installed on a standard PC, Dell, HP, Gateway, Lenovo, etc.) The specs are Intel i7 2.2 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 7200 RPM hard drive... Windows 7 Pro SP1 fully up to date.... I have a dedicated video card, but I doubt that would make a difference.

It seems to be about every 12 seconds... just timed it... With 2.3 it has been going on average 0.1 to 0.2 for 12 seconds and then for about 4.5 seconds at about 12.5% CPU for the viivo.exe process. This repeats every 12 seconds.

And again, only on Windows... not when I reboot to OS X Mavericks (I didn't notice this on Mavericks, only upgraded last week, it wasn't doing it on Mountain Lion) (same box).

EDIT: Just had a thought... and confirmed its not my antivirus... I use Norton360... I disabled it, still have the same results... Trying to think of what else might "poll" the system that often. I also use WinPatrol... but again, turned that off and no changes...
    Last edited by maxsverdlove; 12-27-2013 at 04:00 PM.

OK, just took a closer look on OS X Mavericks... it's doing it too... It's probably normal... But it only spikes for 1/2 a second. In general it stays at about 1.5% CPU and then spikes to about 20% for 1 second and repeats every 15 seconds.