Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any way to decrease CPU usage?

Hey hey! This is actually fixed with version 2.4.38! It stays at approximately 0.20 when idle!

\o/

Glad it's fixed for you. We've definitely filled the whiteboards up with solving this one
    --
    Matt

How did you get version 2.4.38?

I just installed Viivo from the normal setup from the Viivo web site (http://www.viivo.com/products/, the Windows link http://pkware.cachefly.net/products/...-2.3.28-en.exe).

I have no files in my Viivo folder, but every 20 seconds, viivo.exe is using full cpu (12.5 % on my 8 thread cpu) for around 8 seconds! It also does a lot of I/O in that period. And in every one of those periods, it increases its memory use by 6.2 MB which is not released again!

Screenshot - 2014-03-13, 11_00_02 - viivo.exe.png

The CPU usage makes my fan on my laptop run almost all the time, which is unacceptable. Also, it is unacceptable that there is this clear memory leak in the program.

At the time of writing this, viivo.exe uses 638 MB of Private Bytes (compare to the screenshot a few minutes ago where it "only" used 455 MB).

The Viivo is version 2.3.28. How do I get version 2.4.38 to solve the CPU problem? And does it fix the memory leak too?

Okay, I took a wild guess about the URL and now downloaded http://pkware.cachefly.net/products/...-2.4.38-en.exe :-). Will test it.

Well, that works much better!

Screenshot - 2014-03-13, 11_15_29 - viivo.exe.png

Both CPU problem and memory leak solved.

So why do you link to the bad version 2.3.28 on the website???

Well, the CPU problem is not completely solved. I have not been using the Viivo folder at all, but there are still spikes (here the last 10 minutes are shown):

Screenshot - 2014-03-13, 11_27_59 - viivo.exe.png

I can see no reason why Viivo should use that many ressources when I do not touch the folders at all? Especially when there is nothing in them (but that shouldn't matter).

Oh my God, it uses this immense amount of CPU every time I make any change anywhere in my Dropbox folder, even though it is not in the Viivo-Encrypted folder! Every change triggers a spike! Why on Earth does it do that? I can see no reason at all for that.

OK, on further inspection..

1. Yes, the Products page needs to be updated.... the home page and the update page have the correct version... but the Products page is still the old one...

2. I also am having the spiking with ANY Dropbox changes. Before it was constant every 20 seconds for 8 seconds (as noted above).

I'm just glad I wasn't alone on this one... And btw, I confirmed this on Win 8.1 (haven't tested Mac, if it doesn't do the same, I'll report back).

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jhertel View Post
    Oh my God, it uses this immense amount of CPU every time I make any change anywhere in my Dropbox folder, even though it is not in the Viivo-Encrypted folder! Every change triggers a spike! Why on Earth does it do that? I can see no reason at all for that.
    First off, sorry for the snafu on the 2.3 download. The products page has been fixed.

I don't see any huge spikes in my testing, but the spikes can be relative to a lot of your own system setup. Viivo has to scan your Dropbox for incoming shares to ask for access for them. That is why Viivo is scanning your Dropbox folder. Depending on how many files and the structure of your Dropbox folder, it could take more CPU.

If you'd like us to see if there is something else going on with your system or with your account, there is a "submit logs" button in the Info tab which will send us your log files to analyze.

Thanks again for the products page feedback

Personally I don't really mind that it scans the entire folder or that it spikes for a few seconds when a change is made in the Dropbox folder. But just to satisfy my curiosity, so it needs to scan all of the files in the Dropbox folder... not just the ones in Viivo-Encrypted? Is that a limitation of the Dropbox client itself and how it processes shares?