Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any way to decrease CPU usage?

Viivo Staff
    Viivo scans to see if there is a new Dropbox share. Without this scan, the automatic sharing with Dropbox and Viivo will not work properly. Viivo needs to find a new share and .Viivo files in it. The collaborator (non owner of the share) needs to ask for keys for the share. It does this by scanning the Dropbox folder, outside of the Viivo-Encrypted folder. Once the share has been found and access has been granted, that folder is moved from outside your Viivo-Encrypted folder to inside your Viivo-Encrypted folder.

You can see a sharing demo here

OK, that makes sense. When you accept a shared folder, it shows up in the root directory, you could also move it someplace else.... This way once the authorization is given to provide the keys, it is moved into the Viivo-Encrypted folder. Cool. That makes sense. I personally haven't actually had the need to use the sharing feature yet with encrypted files, but I'm sure it will come in handy one day.

Hi Folks,

Seems like discussion on this topic died almost a year ago. I am now on version 2.6.17 and it appears that the CPU and I/O spikes still continue. Attaching screenshot from my Fujitsu Lifebook T-901 with a Quad core i7-2640M 2.8 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ja0lruxhr...04.57.png?dl=0

This is really a tremendous load on the CPU - spiking from near-zero to about 25 percent EVERY TEN SECONDS!!! To clarify, there is sync activity in Dropbox during this period - but as others mentioned it had nothing to do with the Viivo folder. Has Viivo given up on trying to fix this? And I guess the users now seem resigned to living with this also?

I am not sure I completely understand Jack's explanation above regarding why scanning the entire Dropbox every few seconds folder is necessary. I guess it has something to do with AUTOMATIC sharing. So firstly, it seems that scanning every few seconds for an event/activity that many users may never use, and even for those that do use this a share event actually likely happens on average maybe once or twice a day at the most - this seems very inefficient. Does not seem to make sense to try to AUTOMATE THIS at such a high cost. Why does this need to be automatic? Can sharing not be made manual? For example, when the collaborator receives an e-mail from the owner, can the collaborator not then manually go to the Dropbox folder and manually look for the shared folder and request the keys? This would be so much more efficient than continuously taxing the CPU looking for something that happens so rarely.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers!

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMelVis View Post
    Hi Folks,

Seems like discussion on this topic died almost a year ago. I am now on version 2.6.17 and it appears that the CPU and I/O spikes still continue. Attaching screenshot from my Fujitsu Lifebook T-901 with a Quad core i7-2640M 2.8 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ja0lruxhr...04.57.png?dl=0

This is really a tremendous load on the CPU - spiking from near-zero to about 25 percent EVERY TEN SECONDS!!! To clarify, there is sync activity in Dropbox during this period - but as others mentioned it had nothing to do with the Viivo folder. Has Viivo given up on trying to fix this? And I guess the users now seem resigned to living with this also?

I am not sure I completely understand Jack's explanation above regarding why scanning the entire Dropbox every few seconds folder is necessary. I guess it has something to do with AUTOMATIC sharing. So firstly, it seems that scanning every few seconds for an event/activity that many users may never use, and even for those that do use this a share event actually likely happens on average maybe once or twice a day at the most - this seems very inefficient. Does not seem to make sense to try to AUTOMATE THIS at such a high cost. Why does this need to be automatic? Can sharing not be made manual? For example, when the collaborator receives an e-mail from the owner, can the collaborator not then manually go to the Dropbox folder and manually look for the shared folder and request the keys? This would be so much more efficient than continuously taxing the CPU looking for something that happens so rarely.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers!
    If I recall, we did get to the bottom of this in 2.6.17 and for the most part the spike in processor is all dependent on how you structure your data. To be honest, it's been a while so I cannot remember all the details. The engineering team has been focusing on the Viivo 3.0 desktop version which is very different. The scanners you are talking about are NOT part of the Viivo 3.0 product, although there are other mechanisms to facilitate sharing. I doubt they will be as intrusive as what you are seeing.

If you want to try out the 3.0 product in beta, please let us know and we can email you the notes / download links. The beta is going well so far and we have some great feedback items so far, with a few little bugs to squash too.

I can attest that the spiking issues are over with 3.0...

But, I'm getting this command running C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c "D: & cd D:\ & dir /b /s /p /a-d conf.viivo" in the background at about the same levels of apx. 12.5 CPU (but constant, no spiking). It runs this every time I start Viivo for about 15-20 minutes and then it goes away only to pop up again after a few hours... I haven't really noticed it ever causing any issues though, so I just ignore it...

But I am curious what exactly it's doing. If you need me to send the logs, I will, but I don't see the option in the interface anymore...

Viivo Support
    @maxsverdlove,

To send your logs from v3.0, open the Viivo Manager, hold down the SHIFT key, and double-click on Settings in the lower-left. This will bring up a window that contains a "Send Log Files" button.

Let us know when the logs have been uploaded, and we will take a look!

So that's where you hid those options...

On their way right now....

Viivo Support
    Thank you! We are reviewing the information.

Viivo Support
    @maxsverdlove,

In reviewing your log files, we saw 4 VIIVO Start-up events on 1/28. Each time VIIVO 3.0 is started, it scans your drives to check for changes that may have occurred, which will result in increased CPU activity.

We believe the CPU activity you witnessed was most likely from these 4 Start-up events.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    If I recall, we did get to the bottom of this in 2.6.17 and for the most part the spike in processor is all dependent on how you structure your data. To be honest, it's been a while so I cannot remember all the details. The engineering team has been focusing on the Viivo 3.0 desktop version which is very different. The scanners you are talking about are NOT part of the Viivo 3.0 product, although there are other mechanisms to facilitate sharing. I doubt they will be as intrusive as what you are seeing.

If you want to try out the 3.0 product in beta, please let us know and we can email you the notes / download links. The beta is going well so far and we have some great feedback items so far, with a few little bugs to squash too.
    Jack/Viivo Team,

I will take you up on the 3.0 beta offer. However, I will need to think a bit about how much on the edge I want to live . Don't think I can afford a high level of risk with data that is pretty critical to me. I don't really have a separate test computer or environment. When do you expect 3.0 production version will be released? Do you expect to have any more 2.x releases before 3.0?

Meanwhile, I know you are busy with 3.0, but can you elaborate a little on your statement "for the most part the spike in processor is all dependent on how you structure your data"? Are we talking of the structure of the Viivo folder(s) or the Dropbox folder(s) or both? How should these be structured to minimize the spike? 'Cuz the spike sure still shows up in my installation of 2.6.17 as you can clearly see from the link I attached in my previous message.

Thanks again for your help.