Thread: Encrypt personal folder

Encrypt personal folder

Is there a way to use Viivo to encrypt a personal Folder on my hard drive such that someone looking in my computer cannot open it without a password?

Viivo Support
    QGOWUJRF,

VIIVO was designed to secure the files you store in the cloud, and cannot encrypt a personal folder on your hard-drive in the manner outlined in your inquiry. However, I think this is an interesting concept, and I am going to pass your thoughts along to our Developers.

We appreciate your feedback!

While not ideal, you can do something like this with the current version...
    1. Run Viivo Setup and during the Cloud Provider configuration screen, choose to "Skip" setting up a secure cloud specific encryption tunnel.setup
    2. Open the Viivo Manager and uncheck "Stay Signed In"
    3. Drag files to the Viivo Drop Zone or Right Click and choose to encrypt with Viivo any files you wish to secure

So long as you are logged into Viivo and the service is running, double clicking any .viivo file will open it for editing. While you are logged out, no files will automatically decrpyt and instead you will be prompted to login.

Note: There is no auto-logout so this solution is not ideal, but it might work depending on what you had in mind.
    --
    Matt

To confirm, is there currently no way to prevent access to existing files in the Viivo folder (in the home folder on the hard drive), locally, even when not logged in to Viivo?

I have unchecked 'Stay Signed In' so that when I log onto my PC, I am not still signed on to Viivo. I know this will stop any updated/new Viivo-encrypted files I have access to on Dropbox from automatically syncing with my PC. However I can still open all of the existing files that were already in the Viivo folder on my PC. Is there any way to prevent access to these existing files without being signed in to Viivo?

I am currently trialing Viivo for an accounting and financial services firm who are interested in potentially using the Company Package. However they have major concerns about local protection of files, if hardware was stolen, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jameshorizon View Post
    To confirm, is there currently no way to prevent access to existing files in the Viivo folder (in the home folder on the hard drive), locally, even when not logged in to Viivo?

I have unchecked 'Stay Signed In' so that when I log onto my PC, I am not still signed on to Viivo. I know this will stop any updated/new Viivo-encrypted files I have access to on Dropbox from automatically syncing with my PC. However I can still open all of the existing files that were already in the Viivo folder on my PC. Is there any way to prevent access to these existing files without being signed in to Viivo?

I am currently trialing Viivo for an accounting and financial services firm who are interested in potentially using the Company Package. However they have major concerns about local protection of files, if hardware was stolen, etc.

Thanks
    Viivo 2.7 will address this issue which is looking to be 4-6 weeks out. We're working on getting v2.6 out the door which is largely a maintenance release focused on server communication performance and adding support for additional languages.
    --
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Viivo 2.7 will address this issue which is looking to be 4-6 weeks out. We're working on getting v2.6 out the door which is largely a maintenance release focused on server communication performance and adding support for additional languages.
    Was this ever completed? I'm a new user (ver 3.0.102) can't see this option in the settings.

Viivo Support
    @yeomama,

Viivo v3.x has the ability to create non-synced lockers. What this means is that any file you place within this type of locker will be encrypted, and it will not be synced to another folder containing a non-encrypted copy of the file.

If Viivo is set to NOT automatically log in and Viivo is not running, these encrypted files cannot be decrypted. You would need to first launch Viivo and sign in to access the files.