Thread: .gdoc and .gsheet iPhone/iPad "Can't preview file." Error

.gdoc and .gsheet iPhone/iPad "Can't preview file." Error

Hello,
    I am using Viivo with my Mac and iPhone and iPad. I am running IOS 7.1.2 and Viivo 2.6.15 .
    I can open all Viivo encrypted files with no problem on my Mac but I get the "Can't preview file." error on my iPhone and iPad when I open .gdoc and .gsheet files.
    PDF and ppt files seem to work fine.
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the App and I have the current update any suggestions?

Viivo Staff
    These .gdoc and .gsheets are google docs, right?

Typically Google Docs files (gdoc, gsheets) are very small because they are not files with your data in them. They are really just a link to your data that Google is storing.

If you open a file in Notepad or TextPad, you will see something like this:
    Code:
    {"url": "https://docs.google.com/document/d/YYYYYYYYYYY/edit?usp=docslist_api", "resource_id": "document:XXXXXXXXXX"}
    So when you encrypt the .gdoc or .gsheet file, you are only encrypting the "link" to your data, not the data itself. Google stores the data for their file types before you or Viivo can encrypt the data. That is how they are able to do in browser edits and sheets.

As for your question:
    When you see the "Can't preview file" window, there is a little folder that will allow you to open the file we cannot preview in an external application. That is probably your best bet for getting the .gdoc or .gsheet to open on your iOS device.

Yes they are google docs. Thanks for the update. I didn't know they were just links.
    The little folder you mentioned allows me to re-upload the document to google drive or email it to myself.
    So if I understand this process in order to open my encrypted google documents using Viivo, I need to upload a unencrypted version or email myself a copy? This seems pretty self-defeating. Is there an update in the works for this or am I missing a step?

Viivo Staff
    Let me try to explain further. I have a feeling I didn't connect with you before.

When you encrypt a .gdoc file, you are NOT encrypting the Google Document. You are only encrypting the link to the doc. The data in the document is uploaded to Google unencrypted. That is how Google Docs work.

So on your mobile device, when you decrypt a Google Doc like "test.gdoc.viivo", Viivo successfully decrypts and says "Can't Preview" because all it has decrypted is a link to Google Docs. When you press the folder to try and open it in another app, Viivo asks iOS what Apps installed can open this type of file. That is what controls which apps display there, not Viivo.

You can test this by emailing yourself a simple .gdoc or .gsheet file (without Viivo) and trying to open it on your iOS device. The same result will occur because these are links that only Google on a desktop can recognize.

So when you say:
    I need to upload a unencrypted version or email myself a copy? This seems pretty self-defeating. Is there an update in the works for this or am I missing a step?
    By using Google Docs, you actually upload all the data in your Google Doc un-encrypted. I should add, Viivo can't support encrypting Google Docs presently because the data is NOT stored client side before uploaded to the server. Google saves it all in the cloud and no data is stored client side.