Thread: Key Management

Key Management

I know I emailed this already, but figured I'd throw it up here too, for others to comment on.

Slightly modified from my email to the beta team...

My issue with the way keys are displayed now is that once you delete the last file ever created... the key still remains, even though the file is gone. Not sure how you could ever fix that problem. Hence the need to be able to delete keys. The other reason is the list can potentially get HUGE. And for some users it could get confusing. Perhaps it isn't necessary to display the list of keys ever. I think a key manager is necessary though, so you can add users, remove users, etc. This is accessible via the right-click on file and select "Manage Access". But, an issue arises if you delete all of your copies and would need to restrict access to other users. I don't think there is a solution - at least not that I can think of.

Food for thought: Perhaps, the current list is necessary and is the best way to do it. I would vote for keeping the status quo. One suggestion, maybe when creating a new key (so when creating a locker, or a separate asset) it should require you to provide an asset description (instead of just the file name). For example if you name a file "letter.docx". and the next "letter2.docx", etc. If each of these was a separate asset there would be no way to figure out which "letter.docx" you wanted. So, the description could be the name of the person you're sending to, or a description of the topic, etc. You would just need a single line of text - like a notes section. This would make the list searchable. Also, adding a search function to the keys list might be a good idea, so you don't have to scroll through it.

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsverdlove View Post
    I know I emailed this already, but figured I'd throw it up here too, for others to comment on.

Slightly modified from my email to the beta team...

My issue with the way keys are displayed now is that once you delete the last file ever created... the key still remains, even though the file is gone. Not sure how you could ever fix that problem. Hence the need to be able to delete keys. The other reason is the list can potentially get HUGE. And for some users it could get confusing. Perhaps it isn't necessary to display the list of keys ever. I think a key manager is necessary though, so you can add users, remove users, etc. This is accessible via the right-click on file and select "Manage Access". But, an issue arises if you delete all of your copies and would need to restrict access to other users. I don't think there is a solution - at least not that I can think of.

Food for thought: Perhaps, the current list is necessary and is the best way to do it. I would vote for keeping the status quo. One suggestion, maybe when creating a new key (so when creating a locker, or a separate asset) it should require you to provide an asset description (instead of just the file name). For example if you name a file "letter.docx". and the next "letter2.docx", etc. If each of these was a separate asset there would be no way to figure out which "letter.docx" you wanted. So, the description could be the name of the person you're sending to, or a description of the topic, etc. You would just need a single line of text - like a notes section. This would make the list searchable. Also, adding a search function to the keys list might be a good idea, so you don't have to scroll through it.
    Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. We can provide you the ability to delete asset keys. It's an entitlement (think of it as a feature) that we can give out to those who request it. You can only delete keys you own. We have not given this power to all users yet as it's a great power that could allow you to shoot your own foot off. As for the naming of assets, you can change the name of them in the Keys tab in the manager if you would like to better organize your keys. The name doesn't cause any type of re-encryption, its just for us humans.

Would you like the entitlement to delete asset keys?

That's a good idea. Only give it to those who request it after confirming that they understand what it does.

Sure, if you could enable that for me, I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Would you like the entitlement to delete asset keys?
    Can I get this added to my account as well - thank you.

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    Can I get this added to my account as well - thank you.
    Send an email to support@viivo.com and include the email address you use with Viivo.