Thread: Ver 3: Why not leverage all this functionality for Mirroring?

Ver 3: Why not leverage all this functionality for Mirroring?

This Viivo is awesome. With 3.0 I can finally manage Google Drive and Dropbox; sweet.

Like you've mentioned, having a decrypted folder and a Viivo-Encrypted folder is valuable to me. Inside the house, I like to have everything ready to use locally, because who-knows what excitement Windows gives us come some future update…. While the appropriate PCs sync data from the cloud to a Viivo-Encrypted and then to a persistently decrypted folder, I have additional mirroring software that, on my main PC, mirrors off my important decrypted Filing Cabinet folder. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but having an additional, clean NAS copy is reassuring.

So, Main PC: A Viivo-Encrypted folder for the cloud service, a persistently decrypted folder for local use, searching, etc. But, additional mirroring software that needs tweaking when I play with folders.

Wouldn't it be great if I could leverage this Locker syncing to also include a second unlocked folder?

Give some of these Locker scenarios a thought:

Locked: Cloud
    Unlocked: PC Folder
    Unlocked: NAS Folder

Or, multi-cloud support:

Locked: Cloud-1
    Locked: Cloud-2

Or, simple local mirroring:

Curious: This appears to be accepted; is this supported?
    1.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (56.6 KB, 78 views)
    Last edited by GeneMar; 05-13-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneMar View Post
    This Viivo is awesome. With 3.0 I can finally manage Google Drive and Dropbox; sweet.

Like you've mentioned, having a decrypted folder and a Viivo-Encrypted folder is valuable to me. Inside the house, I like to have everything ready to use locally, because who-knows what excitement Windows gives us come some future update…. While the appropriate PCs sync data from the cloud to a Viivo-Encrypted and then to a persistently decrypted folder, I have additional mirroring software that, on my main PC, mirrors off my important decrypted Filing Cabinet folder. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but having an additional, clean NAS copy is reassuring.

So, Main PC: A Viivo-Encrypted folder for the cloud service, a persistently decrypted folder for local use, searching, etc. But, additional mirroring software that needs tweaking when I play with folders.

Wouldn't it be great if I could leverage this Locker syncing to also include a second unlocked folder?

Give some of these Locker scenarios a thought:

Locked: Cloud

Or, multi-cloud support:

Locked: Cloud-1
    Locked: Cloud-2

Or, simple local mirroring:

Curious: This appears to be accepted; is this supported?
    1.png
    Your setup of have 1 Viivo folder (un-encrypted files) syncing to 2 different encrypted folders is 100 % supported. We call that the RAIC (redundant array of inexpensive clouds) setup. We didn't intend on anyone using it that way, but we discovered it in QA and thought, why not allow it.

As for your other idea of have 1 encrypted folder being decrypted to 2 different locations, this doesn't work out of the box with Viivo. If you can trick your machine that is running the locker to see the locker as different paths (say C:\locker, d:\locker, x:\locker) the Viivo Manager would see them as different lockers and you can sync them into different locations. If you mount the folder that is your locker as different drives, Viivo will see them as different paths and should see them as lockers (note you need to enable lockers to be watched on network drives in the Viivo Manager). It's not intended to work this way, but I think it might just work for you.

Or just use a file sync utility like rsync or https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/