Thread: a few requests for V3

a few requests for V3

Hi,

I'm new to Viivo, have been using version 3 betas on Macs (OS X 10.10.3) and Android devices for a few weeks. The feature set and the stability (for betas, no less) are really impressive. Thank you for a great product.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Please make it possible to exclude folders in locker filters. It would be even better if I may have two sets of filters for each locker: one for files/folders I don't want to encrypt, and one for those I don't want to sync. Right now, I'm not quite sure how filters work. For some filtered files, Viivo syncs but doesn't encrypt them; for others, it doesn't sync them at all. Confusing.

2. Please make it possible to remove unwanted keys. I have some test lockers that have since been deleted. I don't want to keep the keys.

3. For sync'd lockers, please allow a little delay (preferably in user-definable duration) after a file has been created/modified before sync'ing.

That's all for now. Thanks.

Btw, the release notes of the newest beta (b85) mentioned some new options for lockers, but I can't seem to find any.

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwang View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to Viivo, have been using version 3 betas on Macs (OS X 10.10.3) and Android devices for a few weeks. The feature set and the stability (for betas, no less) are really impressive. Thank you for a great product.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Please make it possible to exclude folders in locker filters. It would be even better if I may have two sets of filters for each locker: one for files/folders I don't want to encrypt, and one for those I don't want to sync. Right now, I'm not quite sure how filters work. For some filtered files, Viivo syncs but doesn't encrypt them; for others, it doesn't sync them at all. Confusing.
    Right now, filtering is limited to file extensions. So if you want Viivo to NOT sync a certain file extension, you would add something like "*.png" to the filter.
    2. Please make it possible to remove unwanted keys. I have some test lockers that have since been deleted. I don't want to keep the keys.
    Deleting is keys is something we didn't want to give to everyone. The ability can be given to you, just email support@viivo.com and include your Viivo Identity email address and we can enable the ability for you.
    3. For sync'd lockers, please allow a little delay (preferably in user-definable duration) after a file has been created/modified before sync'ing.

That's all for now. Thanks.
    Just curious why you actually want Viivo to slow down, must people ask for Viivo to run faster. In a sync'd locker, the file system watcher sees every event (add, change, delete) near real time, without any delay, but you should be able to still work with the file while Viivo is encrypting it. Is there something you are seeing that makes you want this functionality?
    Btw, the release notes of the newest beta (b85) mentioned some new options for lockers, but I can't seem to find any.
    This is some settings in the settings table to enable full local locker detection. This was actually added in 3.0.71. This allows for you the user to enable or disable Viivo from watching all file system events, or just events occurring in your cloud sync folders. The reason for this configuration change is to address some of the concerns over CPU usage when watching all file system events.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Right now, filtering is limited to file extensions. So if you want Viivo to NOT sync a certain file extension, you would add something like "*.png" to the filter.
    Yes, I know I can filter by file extension, and I'm doing that. But there are folders I don't want to sync: the "backup" or "temp" folders, e.g., and the folders created by various backup/sync applications ("_gsdata_" folder by GoodSync, ".sync" folder by Bittorrent Sync, "_Archive" folder by Carbon Copy Cloner, etc.).

And thank you for making clear that filtered files won't be sync'd at all. But then it's strange that some filtered files seem to be copied over without encryption. In other words, they exist on the "encrypted side" of the pair without being encrypted (no .viivo extension name).

Deleting is keys is something we didn't want to give to everyone. The ability can be given to you, just email support@viivo.com and include your Viivo Identity email address and we can enable the ability for you.
    Got it. Will do. Thanks.

Just curious why you actually want Viivo to slow down, must people ask for Viivo to run faster. In a sync'd locker, the file system watcher sees every event (add, change, delete) near real time, without any delay, but you should be able to still work with the file while Viivo is encrypting it. Is there something you are seeing that makes you want this functionality?
    I don't consider adding a some delay is slowing down Viivo. You wait a little before starting to run, but you run just as fast as you can. There are several reasons for wanting this feature.

1. Some applications do "save (to a temp file), delete (the old file) and rename" when saving files, and some lock the file when saving. Viivo sometimes seems too eager to get to the file and ended up having trouble processing such files and give me warnings.

2. I use a tool called Hazel (by noodlesoft) to automate some routine file operations (rename, move, etc.), and it would be better if Viivo act after Hazel jobs have been completed. (I.e., when a file has reached its final destination, and named properly.) Especially when some intermediate folders Hazel uses lie outside of the folder tree watched by Viivo. It would appear to Viivo as one file created in one place, then deleted shortly afterward, then another file created in another folder. Wouldn't it be simpler if Viivo can wait for the dust to settle?

3. I have fat fingers and a pair of old eyes, and sometimes make mistakes when organizing files, more often than I like. These things are usually caught and corrected quickly, in a few seconds. Again, would be great if Viivo can wait for the dust to settle before carrying out the same changes at the encrypted end.

This is some settings in the settings table to enable full local locker detection. (snipped)
    Got it. I knew about that one. Thanks.

Viivo Staff
    The idea of selective sync of folders (not just file extensions) has been passed along to the product group. I won't make any type of commitments or promises, but the idea has been passed. When you say "some filtered files seem to be copied over without encryption", this is exactly how filter works. If you define a filter, Viivo will NOT encrypt that file. When you have a Sync'd Viivo Locker, I think it makes more sense. It sounds like you are using Viivo 3.0 with Lockers (not synced lockers), right?

The reason we try to encrypt the data as fast as we can is because we do not want data escaping to your cloud folder un-encrypted. There is a pages explaining lockers a little more here: https://www.viivo.com/lockers. If you are looking for more usability, I would recommend using a Synced locker as it seems like the delay and the problems you have with Viivo might be resolved if you let Viivo maintain a decrypted copy of your data on your device.

Sorry for not being clear about my setup. I'm indeed using sync'd lockers.

Here's a specific example:

A sync'd locker is created between A (not encrypted) and B (encrypted). A is also sync'd to another folder C locally (for backup purpose), with a tool called GoodSync, which maintains a hidden _gsdata_ folder under the root of A & C respectively.

I don't want the _gsdata_ folder in the cloud (Google Drive in my case), and thus would prefer to exclude the folder altogether. Since I can't do that at the moment, I set up Viivo's filter to exclude the most common file types in _gsdata_, namely ._gs .gsl .gss & .log files. The first three are apparently GoodSync system files.

This is not really ideal for I do want to encrypt and sync regular .log files (those not created by GoodSync), and there's a folder under _gsdata_ called _history_ that keep backup versions of replaced/removed files (when sync'ing between A & C). I don't want to put _history_ in the cloud either, but exclusion by file type doesn't work here for obvious reason. Thanks for passing along my request for the ability to exclude folders.

Now, the weird part: When I check the _gsdata_ folder under B (the encrypted root), I can see one unencrypted .gsl file (there's also only one .gsl file in /A/_gsdata_), but I can't see any .log files. And the two .gsl files (under A & B respectively) have different timestamps and sizes, so they are not in sync.

Similar results can be found in another sync'd locker, except there's an additional ._gs file under the encrypted tree, also with a different timestamp and size from the "original".

Viivo Staff
    Sorry for not being clear about my setup. I'm indeed using sync'd lockers.

Here's a specific example:

A sync'd locker is created between A (not encrypted) and B (encrypted). A is also sync'd to another folder C locally (for backup purpose), with a tool called GoodSync, which maintains a hidden _gsdata_ folder under the root of A & C respectively.

I don't want the _gsdata_ folder in the cloud (Google Drive in my case), and thus would prefer to exclude the folder altogether. Since I can't do that at the moment, I set up Viivo's filter to exclude the most common file types in _gsdata_, namely ._gs .gsl .gss & .log files. The first three are apparently GoodSync system files.

This is not really ideal for I do want to encrypt and sync regular .log files (those not created by GoodSync), and there's a folder under _gsdata_ called _history_ that keep backup versions of replaced/removed files (when sync'ing between A & C). I don't want to put _history_ in the cloud either, but exclusion by file type doesn't work here for obvious reason. Thanks for passing along my request for the ability to exclude folders.

Now, the weird part: When I check the _gsdata_ folder under B (the encrypted root), I can see one unencrypted .gsl file (there's also only one .gsl file in /A/_gsdata_), but I can't see any .log files. And the two .gsl files (under A & B respectively) have different timestamps and sizes, so they are not in sync.

Similar results can be found in another sync'd locker, except there's an additional ._gs file under the encrypted tree, also with a different timestamp and size from the "original".
    Does GoodSync create these files in both folders it is syncing? I wonder if Goodsync is putting the un-encrypted files out in the encrypted root, and since you have the filters setup, Viivo doesn't do anything with them. Im not a GoodSync expert, but just poking around their setup, it looks like you can enable or disable putting a __gsdata__ folder on either the left or right side. Im guessing you have it putting the folder on both sides?

If you upload your logs, we can take a look and make sure the filtering is working properly. In 3.0, to upload your logs, hold shift and double click the settings tab. There should be a new window that opens to upload your logs.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does GoodSync create these files in both folders it is syncing? I wonder if Goodsync is putting the un-encrypted files out in the encrypted root, and since you have the filters setup, Viivo doesn't do anything with them. Im not a GoodSync expert, but just poking around their setup, it looks like you can enable or disable putting a __gsdata__ folder on either the left or right side. Im guessing you have it putting the folder on both sides?
    GoodSync does create a _gsdata_ folder in both the source and the destination folders. But since I don't use GoodSync to sync A with B (I use GS to sync A with C, remember?), it isn't responsable for the _gsdata_ folder under B or anything in it.

While I know of the option of not putting the _gsdata_ folder in either folder, it gave me a lot of of troubles when I tried. And its manual advise against it. I may try it again if necessary.

If you upload your logs, we can take a look and make sure the filtering is working properly. In 3.0, to upload your logs, hold shift and double click the settings tab. There should be a new window that opens to upload your logs.
    OK, will do when I have time to test it again (after removing the _gsdata_ folder under B and old Viivo logs).

Could you please clarify one more time what is the expected behavior for the filter in a sync'd locker: that Viivo would ignore filtered files completely and not copying it over when it sees one, or Viivo would copy it over unencrypted?

Thanks.

I think I've found the answer to my own question: for sync'd locker, Viivo would ignore filtered files completely and not copying it over when it sees one.

Then how about the "phantom" .gsl file I saw in /B/_gsdata_? Well, I've finally figured this one out. It's not Viivo's fault. GoodSync put it there, not when sync'ing A with B (it doesn't, as I said), but when sync'ing the parent folder of B (let's call it "P") with Google Drive. For that particular sync job, GS naturally has a pair of _gsdata_ folders, under P and the root of Google Drive respectively. And I thought the _gsdata_ under B (which is one level below P) would be either ignored or treated as a regular folder. As it turned out, GS found the empty _gsdata_ under B and decided to put some system files in it.

One more reason to beg for the ability to exclude a folder altogether. And please accept my sincere apologies for the false alarm.

ps. In case you wonder, I use GS to sync with cloud because the native Google Drive application has bugs that prevent it from sync'ing correctly for some of my files.