Thread: Full/Easier compatability with Mobile Drives

Lightbulb Full/Easier compatability with Mobile Drives

Hi Viivo Team:

I've had an epiphany while working today... don't need this feature quite yet, but I do foresee needing before the end of the year.

Here is my hypothetical sync setup:

Computer A:
    C:\Unencrypted Files\
    F: (mobile drive) \Encrypted Files\

OK... works fine... until I unplug the drive and bring it to Computer B. On Computer B, I want to be able to open and edit files without a sync.

If I make changes on Computer A or Computer B, when I plug F: back in to Computer A, I want the sync to happen automatically without having to reset it up manually again. Maybe even a config file that when double-clicked resets the locker settings.

My only concern after this will be the "Dropbox-style conflicted files" issue.

I plan to have a secretary be able to access and/or modify the files on Computer A. While my set of the files on the mobile drive can be used on Computer A or Computer B. The idea of course is that the files on the mobile drive are encrypted while the files on Computer A are not.

Any changes either of us makes, should be synced back and forth. Again, conflicted files issue, now scares me a bit... but perhaps if there would be one... Viivo could warn and ask if we want to keep both, or which version to keep.

The security issue is similar to one of cloud security... the mobile drive can be stolen or left behind much easier than the laptop or desktop computer.

Suggestions, comments from all welcome!

P.S. I would consider using cloud services to sync (to better avoid conflicted files) on Computer A. But, I'm looking for a solution where Computer A cannot have a Dropbox and/or Viivo install. And where Viivo is running only on Computer B.

Super late reply here. It should work this way. We spent a lot of time dealing with the differences between how Mac/Windows handle mounted (and suddenly dismounted) volumes but we did discuss this use case several times during initial design. While you do have to know a decent amount about how Viivo works to even think about climbing into this type of "hurt locker" (har har) it should "just work." Jack will probably come around shortly with a useful response. I just make lame jokes these days.
    --
    Matt

Viivo Staff
    Matt is right. Viivo should pretty much work this way by design with Lockers. You can have a synced locker on 1 machine and just a non-synced locker else where. You can edit the files by double clicking on them (as long as you have Viivo installed). When you make changes, you will see the files re-encrypted when you save.

That being said, in exploring this setup/workflow, I did find a bug that affects Mac version 3.0.85. I've filed the bug with the engineering team and I will update this thread when it 's fixed. It will more than likely be in the next release of 3.0.X

hmmm... I'm using Win 8.1 for this one...

But when I unplug my mobile drive the sync between the mobile drive (with the encrypted folder) is removed from the Viivo Manager. When I plug the drive back in... it doesn't automatically restore the sync... I have to manually set up the sync again... Then it works fine. BUT, that's annoying having to reset the sync each time... Is it supposed to reset the sync folders automatically?

OK... the Locker Search feature added in .95 makes this much easier... Thanks! Just select the locker on the mobile drive and it remembers where the synced folder was!