Thread: Encrypted Photo Sync on mobile

Encrypted Photo Sync on mobile

Automatically encrypted & sync all photos in them mobile photo app (e.g. on iOS) to a cloud storage service.

If it would sync with the cloud service's photo service specifically, while still being encrypted, that'd be a bonus (since many of them offer unlimited storage for photos).

+ 1
    I'd switch to Pro to have such a feature on iOS. Any hope?

Quote Originally Posted by vproman View Post
    Automatically encrypted & sync all photos in them mobile photo app (e.g. on iOS) to a cloud storage service.

If it would sync with the cloud service's photo service specifically, while still being encrypted, that'd be a bonus (since many of them offer unlimited storage for photos).
    If it's an encrypted photo is it still a photo? I imagine most folks would say "no" so it will be up to each provider to determine how they would handle that. I don't feel like it's a safe bet. That said, we do like the idea of encrypting a photo on capture for secure storage within our app or for securely uploading/storing in the Cloud. Few questions (assuming iOS):

1. Would you expect to have to launch the Viivo App and take pictures from inside of it or would you rather use the native camera App to take the picture and then just pass it to (via "Open In...") our app for encryption + upload?
    2. Would you want Viivo to store images as Favorites (not sync them) and have a camera-roll-like experience inside of the app?
    3. Anything else?
    --
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Few questions (assuming iOS):
    Short answer: do it same as Dropbox app.

Would you expect to have to launch the Viivo App and take pictures from inside of it or would you rather use the native camera App to take the picture and then just pass it to (via "Open In...") our app for encryption + upload?
    Native camera App works good, please don't add useless code to Viivo App. Nowadays iOS devices storages are hardware encrypted (PIN, figerprint) so there is no need to add one more local encryption layer. Manual "Open In" workflow is annoying and user can forget to do it everytime, so best way to go is a set-and-forget automatic encryption -> upload to special cloud folder same way Dropbox app does (of course we know Dropbox doesn't encrypt). Don't forget "Wi-Fi only" option too

At this time there are no iOS apps doing something like that, neither Boxcryptor

Would you want Viivo to store images as Favorites (not sync them) and have a camera-roll-like experience inside of the app?
    Personally I'd never use it, but I think it should be useful to someone to keep some pics/videos locally separated.

Anything else?
    See short answer
    Last edited by bettersafe; 06-30-2015 at 05:14 AM.

I think what matt was trying to say is that the Viivo app has to be involved... I don't think there is a way for Viivo to encrypt the files without "opening" the photo.

I don't see myself using this... But I would think both options would be a good idea... (open in.. AND camera in the viivo app)...

But of course, this does add bloat to the program... I'm thinking that the open in... is the least bloated

And again, I don't see myself using this...

+1 I would love this feature.

Most of the big storage apps (Dropbox, iCloud, Google etc) have a feature on their iOS/Android apps to find and upload photos from your camera to the cloud. This is a nice way to automatically back up your photos if your phone get stolen, but of course they don't encrypt the photos so if they get hacked all your photos are visible for the world to see (as what happened with the recent celeb photo hacks). I assume the way they do this is to just scan the device for .jpg and .png files periodically and copy any they find. I think some also ask you to tell them what folder your images are in.

If the Viivo app could find and upload photos from your phone to which ever cloud storage provider you are using while encrypting them along the way that would be awesome.