Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Application Error on Windows 10 Shutdown/Restart

----------------------------
    Last edited by liristapho; 04-26-2017 at 03:59 PM.

I'm getting the error message at each shutdown. It is quite irritating since a every now and then I forget it i.e. just press shutdown, close the screen but then the error comes without me seeing it, preventing the shutdown, after which the battery gets drained. Today I found the laptop battery empty in the train because of Viivo, damn irritating.

Windows 10 Pro, the very newest version available today (Creators Update) and it is fully up-to-date. And both the above discussed versions give the error. Clearly it is not fixed.

EDIT: it's not possible to subscribe to these threads. Trying causes a HAL error message (someone there clearly is an A. C. Clarke fan).

It's been almost 2.5 years since this thread was started, still no fix : ) I wonder if the app is actually dead since such a minor error doesn't get fixed.

Viivo Staff
    Believe it or not, there have been many attempts at fixing the problem, which is why Viivo went from 3.0.95 to 3.0.102. Unfortunately out attempts to fix the issue haven't solved it in all cases for all users. The workaround is to manually shut down Viivo before you shutdown, or to click the OK button on the error message.

Hello,
    I am a new Viivo user. I a running V 3.0.102 on Windows 10 Pro, on multiple machines. I wasn't aware of this known issue when I selected Viivo out of the many available encryption options. Now, I've got it all set up on desktop and laptop, and I come to find out that there's this vexing bug, that Viivo has been aware of this problem for two years now, and that it still hasn't been fixed. I'm sure it's not as rare a problem as the developers might want to think, since only a fraction of users are going to take the time and energy to dig around to locate this forum, register, and post.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the "workaround" is to click the OK button when I get the error message. But, as liristapho noted, that requires remembering EVERY SINGLE TIME ... or risking a dead battery on the laptop. So, unless I hear word that there is a real solution, I am going to go back to the drawing board, uninstall Viivo, and (alas) go with the runner-up encryption software. Sad - I thought I'd found the perfect program for my needs. But I guess there isn't any such thing.

I also feel like online product reviewers should be made aware of this 2-year-old situation, and should alert potential customers to it, so as not to have folks wasting time setting up a system only to have to kill it a few weeks later!

Quote Originally Posted by liristapho View Post
    It's been almost 2.5 years since this thread was started, still no fix : ) I wonder if the app is actually dead since such a minor error doesn't get fixed.
    liristapho: Good question. From what I see, every few months or so Jack from Viivo pops up on the thread to reassure customers that they're aware of the problem and working on it, but in actuality it never gets fixed. Makes one wonder about the resources underpinning this program and company. Like you asked, is the app actually dead?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpViivo?! View Post
    uninstall Viivo, and (alas) go with the runner-up encryption software.
    I'm having a hard time finding a suitable replacement. Viivo appears the best option, excluding this one bug.
    Last edited by liristapho; 06-15-2017 at 09:50 PM.

After the Viivo End Of Life announcment, I studied the replacements and decided to go with Boxcryptor. It's not quite as polished as Viivo as it creates a virtual drive where the encrypted files are stored. Viivo was completely invisible and thus much nicer. But looks like Boxcryptor is the second best option there is, for private use.