Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to automatically delete decrypted files

How to automatically delete decrypted files

How do we tell Viivo to automatically delete files decrypted to "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Viivo\Data\File-Edit" when using Viivo in manual encryption/decryption mode after the files are closed?

I don't see anything in the options and if I choose to do manual decryption on some computer it means I don't want unencrypted copies of my files on that computer other than while I'm using the files...

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by netizenk View Post
    How do we tell Viivo to automatically delete files decrypted to "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Viivo\Data\File-Edit" when using Viivo in manual encryption/decryption mode after the files are closed?

I don't see anything in the options and if I choose to do manual decryption on some computer it means I don't want unencrypted copies of my files on that computer other than while I'm using the files...
    You are correct, Viivo doesn't delete this file. When Viivo decrypts a file, it then tells the operating system to open the file. The operating system will open the file with whatever the default application is.

At that point Viivo is only watching the decrypted version of the file for changes. When the file changes, it encrypts the file back into the original location of the .viivo file. Viivo doesn't know when you are "done" with a file. It doesn't watch to see what application launches the file or anything like that.

So for the current release, if you do not want those files on your disk you need to manually delete them.

If you right click and select "Decrypt To" on a .viivo file you can select the location of the decrypted file. If you are just trying to view a file, this might be easier as you can easily decrypt then delete it. If you are editing a file, I think double clicking the .viivo file and manually deleting the decrypted copy in the "\File-Edit" folder is best.

Thanks, I'll add a shut down script to delete files from that folder but it would be really nice if Viivo could delete those files on shut down...

Viivo Staff
    Thanks for the feedback. We've discussed adding a better way for users to control visibility to what is there in the FileEdit and providing some automation around cleanup too, but it was just out of scope for the 3.0 release.

New User
    Just had a nasty shock when I discovered unencrypted copies of files I thought were secure sitting in an appdata folder! I'm running the lastest version (30.0.95) but this bug is apparently not fixed? Is there a solution/work around to this problem yet, please?

Hi ChrisO, the easiest way to overcome this is to have a shutdown or logoff script that deletes all files from appdata folder it works for me and netizenk.

I've just had the same shock as ChrisO after reading this! I use a shared computer and am amazed that these 'hidden' files are left behind, surely this is a major flaw that should at least be highlighted to the user even if it can't be fixed immediately.
    I imagine most users are completely unaware that unencrypted files are sitting on their PC.

This appears to be a great product but it's reputation is seriously at risk from this sort of thing, are there any other little issues like this we should be aware of I wonder?

New User
    As UNIVAC says is best to have a logOff scrip, it is a good choice
    Ricardo Suarez Caballero
    Director Formativo en IIEMD.com - Marketing Digital

I agree there are various options for deleting files in the File-Edit folder on logoff or shutdown, the simplest way of course being manual deletion.
    My point is that if users don't know that these files are there in the first place they would not know they had to delete them!

Users should be made aware of this 'feature' as use of Viivo on a shared computer could be a huge risk

Also suggestions of a 'logoff' script are ok for technical users who know what a script is and how to use one but I imagine 99% of users would not be able to do this.
    Last edited by mks123; 09-28-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Hi,

I also discovered that there are unecrypted files in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Viivo\Data\File-Edit .

I think that Viivo is great and I consider buying business version. However, please fix this issue as fast as you can. For the time being I will delete decypted files located in File-Edit folder or I will use another sync locker (I will copy decrypted files between two locations. The original and the new sync locker - the locker just for unecryption).