Thread: Contingency Keyholder

Contingency Keyholder

Good morning,

We are testing out Viivo for Business and we are making sure it would fit our needs. While testing, I noticed that even though I was logged in as the Contingency Keyholder, when I tried to access a file owner/moderated by another user, it didn't give me access, and instead it just sent an access request to that user.

Are we doing something wrong? how is this feature supposed to work?

Thank you,

Viivo Staff
    A few questions for you that will help us narrow the issue/problem.

1. Was this a new .viivo file created by someone once they were on the team, or was the file created after they have joined the team?
    2. Has the owner of the file run Viivo since you had added yourself as a Contingency Key holder? Once a Contingency Key holder is defined, everyone on the team has to stop / start Viivo at once (or I think they can wait, 24 hours, I forget).

Your understanding is correct, but I am wondering if it is fully set up on your team.

Actually, the encrypted folder already existed before the user was added to the team. I am going to try again then, to see what happens now.

As a related question. How does Viivo handle the transfer of keys when you add a contingency key holder, and whenever permissions are added/removed? My understanding is that since Viivo uses AES-256, which is a symmetric encryption, once a given device has the key, they have it. When you change, either add/remove a contingency key holder, what does Viivo do, does it somehow just create a new key and replace that one? What if the target devices are not online?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    A few questions for you that will help us narrow the issue/problem.

1. Was this a new .viivo file created by someone once they were on the team, or was the file created after they have joined the team?
    2. Has the owner of the file run Viivo since you had added yourself as a Contingency Key holder? Once a Contingency Key holder is defined, everyone on the team has to stop / start Viivo at once (or I think they can wait, 24 hours, I forget).

Your understanding is correct, but I am wondering if it is fully set up on your team.