Thread: Files being encrypted empty

Files being encrypted empty

I have not fully tested my hypothesis but I noticed a great many encrypted .viivo files that are roughly showing as being 950 bytes. When I try to open them Viivo decrypts the file but whatever app the file is passed to says it's empty or unreadable. The file in the unencrypted local folder is not empty (and obviously larger than 950 bytes). What I have noticed is that if I copy multiple files into the local unencrypted folder Viivo does not always 'finish' encrypting them. I'm not sure why it leaves empty files. Maybe they are a priori 'container' files Viivo writes before 'filling' them with the actual content. In any regard this is pretty trouble behavior since files you would like encrypted are usually quite important. Fortunately the local unencrypted versions are left intact but the unencrypted versions on a different computer linked via Dropbox are also empty since Viivo is trying to decrypt the empty file sync'd via Dropbox.

The log file seems to indicate that Viivo is not even trying to encrypt some of the multiple files copied into the local encrypted folder.

Thoughts?

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ericmock View Post
    I have not fully tested my hypothesis but I noticed a great many encrypted .viivo files that are roughly showing as being 950 bytes. When I try to open them Viivo decrypts the file but whatever app the file is passed to says it's empty or unreadable. The file in the unencrypted local folder is not empty (and obviously larger than 950 bytes). What I have noticed is that if I copy multiple files into the local unencrypted folder Viivo does not always 'finish' encrypting them. I'm not sure why it leaves empty files. Maybe they are a priori 'container' files Viivo writes before 'filling' them with the actual content. In any regard this is pretty trouble behavior since files you would like encrypted are usually quite important. Fortunately the local unencrypted versions are left intact but the unencrypted versions on a different computer linked via Dropbox are also empty since Viivo is trying to decrypt the empty file sync'd via Dropbox.

The log file seems to indicate that Viivo is not even trying to encrypt some of the multiple files copied into the local encrypted folder.

Thoughts?
    Never heard of this type of behavior before. We would need to see your logs before offering any suggestion or idea. You can submit them through the Viivo Manager by holding down shift and double clicking the setting tab. You should see a button to click to submit your logs.

Similar experience here, when encrypting files on Copy. Viivo would encrypt only certain files, leaving other folders entirely empty, without any file inside, encrypted or not. I later found out that the "disappeared" files were being deleted during the encryption process. Fortunately, I had backup copies, so after a long time and with a lot of patience, I managed to restore the files as they were before using Viivo, but I am totally appalled by the randomness of the whole thing. I would really like to understand what happened. Any hypothesis?
    Last edited by dfronk2; 12-14-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Viivo Support
    If you will submit your logs, we will investigate this issue. From Viivo Manager, hold down shift, double click on settings and then click send logs. After the logs have been sent, please post a reply here so that we can check.

Done. I had uninstalled the program after the fact, so I am not sure how helpful the logs can be.