Thread: Strange renaming behavior using Lockers on Mac and Windows PCs at same time

Question Strange renaming behavior using Lockers on Mac and Windows PCs at same time

I have been testing out Viivo on Win7Pro and MacOSX El Capitan both using Apple iCloud Drive as the cloud service. Currently using Boxcrypter Classic but they have dropped support of new operating systems with that version (Win10 and OSX El Capitan).

The Viivo encrypted folder is located on iCloud Drive.
    The Win7 PC has a locker setup with the encrypted iCloud folder and an non-encrypted sync folder.
    The Mac PC also has a locker setup with the encrypted iCloud folder and an non-encrypted sync folder.

If both Win7 and Mac have their locker as "enabled", and I add a file called "TEST.PDF" on one of the computers, the file seems to be encrypted and then renamed.

After copying the file, I see a number of Viivo notices. They appear quickly but start of with "Encrypted... Decrypted... Renamed", etc.

Filename ORIGINALLY: "TEST.PDF"
    Non-Encrypted folder NEW file name: ".TEST - Copy.PDF.viivo.icloud"
    Encrypted folder NEW file name: ".TEST - Copy.PDF.viivo.icloud.viivo"

If I disable the Locker on the Win7 PC, then Viivo works fine on the Mac. Conversely, if I just disable Viivo on the Mac PC, then again Viivo works fine on the Win7 PC. However I loose the ability to encrypt new/updates files on the PC with the locker disabled.

At them moment I need access to both platforms but if this behavior is normal, Viivo will not work for me.

Viivo Staff
    I believe the ".TEST " file is coming from the Mac, although I am not positive. Can you confirm this is your setup?

PC:
    Un-encrypted folder : <some path>
    Encrypted folder : <some path in iCloud Drive>

Mac:

Then when you add 1 file called "Test.PDF" to the Un-encrypted folder you see those results? Which system are you doing the original encryption on, Mac or Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I believe the ".TEST " file is coming from the Mac, although I am not positive. Can you confirm this is your setup?

PC:

Mac:

Then when you add 1 file called "Test.PDF" to the Un-encrypted folder you see those results?
    Windows?
    Yes correct.

I suspect the Mac side is adding the "." file as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Which system are you doing the original encryption on, Mac or Windows?
    Windows. Haven't tried on the Mac side.

I am curious to see what the Viivo issue is however not a big rush. Maybe this post will help others trying to use Mac/Win setups.

As an aside I got EncFS working again on my Mac so sticking with Boxcrypter classic for now until the Windows PC is gone later this year as it works fairly well across Win/Mac/IOS.

Do you have both computers running simultaneously? I also use Mac/Win combo... but on my dual-boot Macbook Pro... so never running simultaneously... seems to work fine..

Quote Originally Posted by maxsverdlove View Post
    Do you have both computers running simultaneously? I also use Mac/Win combo... but on my dual-boot Macbook Pro... so never running simultaneously... seems to work fine..
    Correct I have the Win and Mac machines both running at the same time. For now I have BoxCrypter classic working well have gave given up on VIIVO for now.

thinks for information