Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viivo Edit function

Here's is the way that the 1KB files were created,
    Locker C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents
    Folder under Documents, 1Viivo Test (folder is empty)
    Work flow
    Open word, type the following three words, Viivo Word Test, Save the document to the folder C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\1Viivo Test using the name Viivo Word Test.doc
    The document is saved and then encrypted but it then goes into a loop and keeps encrypting the .doc file with a file size of 1KB. This loop doesn’t stop until the document is closed in Word. When the document is closed in word the last encrypted file to be created is the only one that can be opened in Viivo edit and it’s the only file that is not 1KB (it’s 3KB)
    Screen dump images are attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Univac; 03-01-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Viivo Staff
    Thanks for providing the screenshots. I think that helps show what is happening. It's somewhat product of your workflow in how you use Viivo. Let me explain.

By creating a document and saving it directly into your Viivo Locker, but not closing Microsoft Word, it would appear Microsoft Office has a lock on the .doc file. Viivo immediately sees the .doc file and it tries to encrypt and delete the plain text copy. Since the deletion fails (since its locked by MS Word), the .viivo file that is produced only contains the metadata required to decrypt the file (an invalid viivo file). That is the 1 KB file you see.

Then since Viivo still sees the plaintext copy of the file, it tries it again. Since the file is locked still, it fails to delete the plain text copy. Since a .viivo file already exists with that name, a (1) is added to the file name.

It's probably worth noting that if this is a cloud folder, there is a high likelihood that your file is being uploaded to the cloud service in plain text, since Word has the file locked and we cannot remove it. It would be up to the cloud provider to respect file locking, which varies with your choice of cloud provider.

This cycle continues until Word has released the lock on the file. As you can see, the highest version of the file (in your case it's 53) is the only valid .viivo file, which I would guess is created after Word is closed.

So for the time being, with version 102, your options are:
    1. Change your workflow -> save the document outside of your locker, then added it to your locker and double click the .viivo file to open it.
    2. Use Synced Lockers and work out of the plain text folder that Viivo synchronizes.

The engineering team has been alerted to what is happening, but I cannot forecast if/when a update will be available to address this issue.

Viivo Staff
    Funny, as soon as we broke it down and discussed what was happening as a team, we think we have a patch for the exact problem you are experiencing. The "invalid" 1 KB viivo will exist still, but Viivo will immediately remove it because it knows it's invalid. Depending on which version of MS office you are using, and which office application you are using you might have different outcomes, but in our initial testing it seemed to be better.

I believe your experience should be better now, but if you want to try the patch, here is a version to try:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0tqhik4q3...03-en.exe?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I believe your experience should be better now, but if you want to try the patch, here is a version to try:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0tqhik4q3...03-en.exe?dl=0
    Great, thanks. All Ok so far....

Drat. I have just noted that a file Name.xlsx.viivo, opens as Name (1).
    In my OSX File-Edit folder, I have Name.xlsx (dated Dec15) and Name (1).xlsx (todays date).
    In that folder, I deleted Name.xlsx and renamed Name (1).xlsx to Name.xlsx.
    But then if I open Name.xlsx.vvivo again, Name (1).xlx is created again.

Is here any way to sort this out? Ah - if I delete BOTH the File-Edit files, then everything seems to be OK....but is this the correct fix?

Viivo Support
    Robin.

How are you working with these XLS files? Are you opening existing files from a Locker by double clicking or are these new files being added to the locker?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Robin.

How are you working with these XLS files? Are you opening existing files from a Locker by double clicking or are these new files being added to the locker?
    Opening an existing *.*.viivo from a normal directory by either double-click or by click/Open With.
    I don't use Lockers at all.