Thread: Plaintext version stored on local machine

Plaintext version stored on local machine

It looks like Viivo keeps a plaintext version of anything I decrypt in ~/Library/Application Support/Viivo/File-Edit. Isn't that a security hole? Obviously I need access to a plaintext version of anything I'm working on and it must be local. But shouldn't it get re-encrypted and the plaintext shredded when I finish working on it?

Viivo Staff
    This has been discussed at length on other threads like this. Viivo was not built to completely protect files on your local file system. Viivo was built to protect files stored in the cloud. We recommend using a full-disk encryption tool if this is a great concern.

Hi Jack. Just thinking aloud.....
    If we accept that a home-based PC is 'secure', but we are concerned about loosing a portable device...
    * (I think?) with iOS we are OK as the app keeps the files secure with no decrypted copy
    * if we could do the same with a laptop (say OSX) , the risk of loss of the device would be of far less concern.
    Is there any way of running OSX like iOS (or maybe there is a decrypted copy on the IOS device?)

Viivo Staff
    IOS and OSX are very different. IOS has a concept of sandboxing applications and data which provides a lot of control to the operating system on what applications can access. Viivo does decrypt the file on your device, so it is decrypted there in plain text. Once you are done previewing the file, we remove the decrypted file. Other applications cannot access the files Viivo decrypts, because of the sandboxing too, so there are some built in security controls that the operating system provides.

OSX is Apple's desktop operating system. Browsing the file system and having access to everything is just how they built it.

If you don't mind me asking, does a full disk encryption not calm your fears? Are you worried about another application getting the data in the in the Application Support folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, does a full disk encryption not calm your fears? Are you worried about another application getting the data in the in the Application Support folder?
    My problem is, that I came upon Viivo when seeking a replacement for Axon Data's Axcrypt. This was great as far as it went, but lacked when beyond the Windows environment.
    I looked at a huge range of products and doubtless became so relieved at Viivo's cross-platform coverage and ability to share, that I failed to note your real purpose for the product - cloud protection.

Doubtless full-disk encryption would cover the holes for me, but I am loath (lazy?) to add another layer of complexity to my life.

Maybe also, I have suffered quite a few problems with Viivo and the existence of the decrypted files has been a 'get out of jail free' card for me on quite a few occasions. So I have been glad of 'the feature'.

My biggest worry is loosing my laptop (or iOS device) , so you are doubtless right that I should get on and let OSX do its disk encryption!
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2883...ypt-parts.html

Everyone seems to excuse this behavior for various reasons. It's not acceptable. OK? Not acceptable. Please fix. A script is not an acceptable workaround. It's ok to be explicit about it now but since it is an acknowledged problem a fix in a future version is essential.

Viivo Staff
    Hey Lewisl,

Viivo was built for protecting files in the Cloud. In version 1 and version 2, all of your files were available un-encrypted on your local disk. In version 3, we built Lockers, which allow you to keep the majority of your files encrypted on your local disk, except for the ones in the ~/App Support/ folder. Viivo was built to protect files in the cloud, thats what we focus on.

There are other solutions by other vendors that can help protect your local storage if you have concerns about it. As others have suggested, you can also clean up the folder yourself as well.

Sorry to not meet your expectations, but I think you might be thinking Viivo was intended for more than it was built for.