Thread: Many Quarantine files cluttering my directories

Many Quarantine files cluttering my directories

Hello,

I am using Viivo 3.0.103 on windows 10 machine. I have a locker on onedrive which is mirrored locally on my computer.
    I am noticing the following issues:

1 - Sporadically, I still have the error message upon windows shutdown. Less than with the previous versions, but it still happens from time to time.

2 - It seems sometime that Viivo is running and consuming 35% of CPU and more, eventhough I am not sure it is suppose to be doing anything as I didn't make any changes to my files.

3 - The issue that worries me the most, is that I am getting a lot of files with Quarantine added to the beginning of their names. If I dycrypt them they decrypt fine (tried for a few), but they are filling my drive and I cannot tell if all will decrypt ok - sometime the original file disappear and sometime it is still in the same directory!!!

4 - For files that I have not changed, I get sometime the "problem" Temp directory created by no content extracted (corrupt archive, etc)

I am getting a little concerned to be honest. I would appreciate your help.

Kind regards
    Abed
    Last edited by abed; 05-16-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Viivo Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by abed View Post
    Hello,

I am using Viivo 3.0.103 on windows 10 machine. I have a locker on onedrive which is mirrored locally on my computer.
    I am noticing the following issues:

1 - Sporadically, I still have the error message upon windows shutdown. Less than with the previous versions, but it still happens from time to time.
    Do you happen to notice a pattern as to when it is occurring? If you exit Viivo (from the system tray) Does it exit gracefully?

2 - It seems sometime that Viivo is running and consuming 35% of CPU and more, eventhough I am not sure it is suppose to be doing anything as I didn't make any changes to my files.
    CPU usage can grow as the number of folders Viivo needs to sync grows (unfortunately), although we didn't see your type of CPU usage until we had very large folder structures. How many lockers do you have? Are they syncing lockers ? (1 un-encrypted folder with a paired/sync'd encrypted folder?) How many folders/files in this locker? Also, what version of Windows are you running? Do you have all your OneDrive files synced to your machine, or are some of the OneDrive files "Online Only"

3 - The issue that worries me the most, is that I am getting a lot of files with Quarantine added to the beginning of their names. If I dycrypt them they decrypt fine (tried for a few), but they are filling my drive and I cannot tell if all will decrypt ok - sometime the original file disappear and sometime it is still in the same directory!!!
    Can you explain more about this scenario? Using filenames and explaining the setup will help. Are the files open as well? Do you use Viivo on more than 1 machine?
    4 - For files that I have not changed, I get sometime the "problem" Temp directory created by no content extracted (corrupt archive, etc)

I am getting a little concerned to be honest. I would appreciate your help.

Kind regards
    Abed
    This message is very misleading. It's actually a timing issue that can occur. This issue can be worked around by disabling Notifications in the Viivo Manager. A longer term solution is on the list of issues the team is planning for the next maintenance release of Viivo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Do you happen to notice a pattern as to when it is occurring? If you exit Viivo (from the system tray) Does it exit gracefully?

It seems to exit gracefully when I exit from system try. It only happens now around 1 in 8 times. If I have to guess I would say it happens when I am exiting in a rush?

CPU usage can grow as the number of folders Viivo needs to sync grows (unfortunately), although we didn't see your type of CPU usage until we had very large folder structures. How many lockers do you have? Are they syncing lockers ? (1 un-encrypted folder with a paired/sync'd encrypted folder?) How many folders/files in this locker? Also, what version of Windows are you running? Do you have all your OneDrive files synced to your machine, or are some of the OneDrive files "Online Only"

I have three lockers. Two of them are syncing lockers with around 30k files each. I am running the latest version of windows 10 x64. Not all files in OneDrive are synced to the machine. Some of them are online only.

Can you explain more about this scenario? Using filenames and explaining the setup will help. Are the files open as well? Do you use Viivo on more than 1 machine?

for example I have a file in a directory called 2011.01.28.pdf, next to it in the same directory (local drive) I have the encrypted file "(Quarantine20160413T183923) 2011.01.28.pdf.viivo" - both files open ok if I click on them.

This message is very misleading. It's actually a timing issue that can occur. This issue can be worked around by disabling Notifications in the Viivo Manager. A longer term solution is on the list of issues the team is planning for the next maintenance release of Viivo.
    Looking forward to the next release.

Kind regards
    Abed

Viivo Staff
    The CPU usage might be caused by the "online only" files that (if they are in the encrypted locker folders). Viivo doesn't support the idea of "online files", it just sees it as a real file. It will essentially try to decrypt this file every it is seen by the internal scanning or file system notifications. Do you have .Viivo files that are "online only"? I believe OneDrive is moving away from Online vs. Offline model (they refer to it as "placeholders"). I think the only workaround for you at the current time is to either sync all the files, or organize your data in such a way that you can selective sync them (and not have them on your machine).

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The CPU usage might be caused by the "online only" files that (if they are in the encrypted locker folders). Viivo doesn't support the idea of "online files", it just sees it as a real file. It will essentially try to decrypt this file every it is seen by the internal scanning or file system notifications. Do you have .Viivo files that are "online only"? I believe OneDrive is moving away from Online vs. Offline model (they refer to it as "placeholders"). I think the only workaround for you at the current time is to either sync all the files, or organize your data in such a way that you can selective sync them (and not have them on your machine).
    Thank you. The challenge for me is that I cannot see having all my files from onedrive on every machine that I have which if I understand you correctly it is what you are proposing. yes I have viivo files that are online only.

What about the Quarantine files? I remove them from my directories but then they come back!!

Kind regards
    Abed

Viivo Support
    I've had luck in the past by finding where the files being quarantined are, moving them out of the locker and after everything syncs, moving them back to the locker.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I've had luck in the past by finding where the files being quarantined are, moving them out of the locker and after everything syncs, moving them back to the locker.

the number of files I found are over 400. I am afraid this is not possible for me.

Thanks
    Abed

Michael, do you think it is safe for me to delete all the files with Quarantine appended to the front (and encrypted) on my local drive without checking their counterpart? I am going through them file by file and it seems that the Quarantined.viivo file and the original are both ok in all cases.

Thanks for your advise.

Kind regards
    Abed