Thread: conf.viivo file deleted in google drive, syncing lockers lost, changes lost

conf.viivo file deleted in google drive, syncing lockers lost, changes lost

Hi Viivo Team!

I wanted to make you aware of a pretty destructive scenario I came across. This is what happened:
    1) conf.viivo files in at least 2 lockers of mine were deleted from Google Drive, one was /Google Drive/Documents/conf.viivo and the other /Google Drive/Shared/conf.viivo. I confirmed this by looking in my Google Drive trash. Google Drive says it was my account that deleted both of them at the same time, back on 5/9, but I am sure I did not do that.

2) Correct me if wrong, but once those conf.viivo files were deleted, the viivo app would stop syncing. I continued to make changes to files in my unencrypted /vproman/Documents and /vproman/Shared folders, but those changes were not being encrypted into their respective /Google Drive/ folders and so not uploaded to Google Drive.

3) Today, I noticed the /Google Drive/Shared folder was not syncing because the person I share it with was not seeing my changes. First, I verified that the locker was not setup in their machine. Then, I attempted to "Find" the locker on their machine (I still wasn't aware the conf.viivo file had been deleted over a month ago). Finally, I setup a new locker in the /Shared folder on their machine (I believe this then created a new conf.viivo file). I noticed a few files get encrypted/decrypted by viivo, and Google Drive sync a few files as well, still on their machine.

4) I realized that I had originally set up this locker on my machine, and so decided to delete the locker from the other person's machine (which I assume deleted the conf.viivo file again) and set it up on my machine. I noticed a few files get encrypted/decrypted and synced, this time on my machine. Finally, I went to the file I was originally working on, and all the changes I had made over the last few weeks were gone. I'm not sure if other files may also have lost their changes.

As I said, I wanted to make you aware of this destructive scenario. I'd like to know what you think caused it from viivo's perspective, and if there is any way to avoid it in the future. I suppose I was assuming that since my file had been changed recently, and so had a "last modified date" that was recently, that it would have overwritten any files synced to Google Drive with an earlier "last modified date".

Also, wanted to ask if there's any way I might recover the changes? Does viivo keep any temporary backups of files, and if so where should I look?

Thanks you for any help you can provide!
    Last edited by vproman; 06-26-2016 at 05:00 AM.

Viivo Support
    @vproman,

In setting up a test / synced locker similar to yours, every time we deleted the conf.viivo file, it was immediately re-created. The only way we were able to prevent the file from being created was to shut down the VIIVO Manager. Then, when the manager was re-started, the file was re-created, and the additional unencrypted files were encrypted / synced.

What is the status of your VIIVO Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.Nagel View Post
    @vproman,

In setting up a test / synced locker similar to yours, every time we deleted the conf.viivo file, it was immediately re-created. The only way we were able to prevent the file from being created was to shut down the VIIVO Manager. Then, when the manager was re-started, the file was re-created, and the additional unencrypted files were encrypted / synced.

What is the status of your VIIVO Manager?
    Viivo Manager (3.0.95) is online, and I took a look at logs and syncpair.log shows activity between 5/19 and 6/25. Oldest viivo.log is from 6/25, so I suppose there's some kind of log rotation/deleting going on there? If you'd like me to send any of the logs, I'd be happy to, just let me know which ones.

Does it matter if the conf.viivo is deleted within Google Drive web app versus deleted in the local file system?

FYI, I run viivo manager from within an OS X VM (Parallels) that I've been using since 2015. Rarely, the VM will crash, but it starts back up just fine.

The person I share the locker with is using a standard OS X install though, no VM.

Viivo Support
    It should not matter how it was deleted. In our tests, no matter where the conf.viivo file was deleted (web, local folder, etc.), VIIVO re-created it.

Just curious - if you turn off Google Drive sync, then stop / restart your VIIVO Manager, is the conf.viivo file recreated in your local locker folder?