HI there.

Just saw this on reddit.com/r/netsec, and it looks to be rather troubling.

http://applehelpwriter.com/2016/08/2...acks-your-mac/

Please correct any inaccuracies or characterizations if you feel so inclined.

But my understanding of the article is that Dropbox has basically gone deep into the security systems of your MAC and basically 'cloned' (for lack of a better word) your credentials, so that Dropbox essentially only needs permission (in the form of a authorized administrators password) just one time. And any subsequent time it would normally need permission it just goes ahead and uses the 'cloned' permission. Dropbox, can then if it so chooses, abuse these powers. Hence, why some have called it indistinguishable from Mal-ware except its coming from Dropbox, a supposedly trusted source. Some have called on Dropbox to stop this or respond, while others blame Apple for allowing this to happen.

My question is, HOW IS THIS GOING TO AFFECT MAC VIIVO USERS?

I was wondering if someone is able to explain in layman's terms: (1) what, if any, relation this has to Viivo encryption for us MAC users; (2) Does Viivo's encryption protect users against Dropbox snooping

Also, if anyone from Viivo is looking at this thread, are they able to address any of the specific concerns that are raised by more knowledgeable folks. Perhaps, as I have said previously, it's something that can only be addressed by Apple or Dropbox. Which is fine, if that's the case, but would at least like to hear that that IS or IS NOT the case.

Cheers.

Finally let me first preface that I'm no security expert and my knowledge is merely at an enthusiastic beginners level. So apologies for any inaccuracies. They were not intended.