Thread: File permissions after encryption not respecting umask

New User

File permissions after encryption not respecting umask

I noticed that when I create a file that is the locker, the file after encryption is set to file permission 0770. The umask is set to 0027 so I would expect the effective permission to be set to 0640. If I touch a test file the initial permission is 0640 but after it is written to Dropbox the file is updated and I end up with 0770 on the file.

Viivo Support
    @randeffects,

When VIIVO processes the files you place in your locker, they are each placed within an encrypted container. Before you can read from or write to the file within such a container, it must first be decrypted. Then, any saved changes are re-encrypted.

So, having read / write permission alone is not be sufficient to access the data within VIIVO files. And, it is necessary for VIIVO to retain this ability across any platform onto which the files may be accessed.
    Last edited by Joe.Nagel; 02-22-2017 at 02:26 PM.

New User
    If I am understanding what you are saying is that the files in the dropbox folder that end in .viivo need to have a permission that is available to all platforms. In doing so the resulting permission in the locker (the decrypted folder) has the same permissions?

Viivo Support
    @randeffects,

Are you saying that the permissions on your decrypted folder are also 0770? If so, could you send us a screenshot showing what you are observing?

(Feel free to send via a PM if you prefer.)