Thread: Viivo sync messes up files

Viivo sync messes up files

Hi all,

I am using Viivo since a few weeks. Basically with success. Anyway I am facing a problem from time to time, which messes up my files. Here is how I work:

1) Generally I am not running Viivo.
    2) I am scanning documents in a local folder structure, which is the sync folder for Viivo.
    3) No changes happen in the cloud structure (Google Drive), as I use this only as a kind of backup.
    4) From time to time I execute Viivo and let it do it's work.

This is now where Viivo sometimes does strange things: After performing the synchronization, I have duplicate files on my local and cloud storage, which have definitely not been there before the synchronization. Windows renames them to something (1).pdf.

To be sure that there is no mistake in my workflow, I am currently syncing the local files with a third party tool to another local location before I run Viivo and compare them afterwards against the final Viivo sync folder structure.

Any ideas how this could happen?

Is there a way to find out, which files are copied from which location to where, e.g. some kind of log file?

Thanks for your support!

What's the 3rd party tool? Viivo has some logic in it to handle specifics of some of the popular cloud file sync engines, it also drops its own files on both sides of the tunnel. If those files aren't syncing properly you'll have problems.

Based off your description: Viivo -> 3rd party sync -> Cloud File Sync

Do I have that right or is it: 3rd party sync -> Viivo -> Cloud File Sync?

Is the 3rd party tool constantly running?
    --
    Matt

Hi matt,

the workflow I would like to have is:

- Copy and move the files on the local storage as desired, without having Viivo running
    - One day, start Viivo and let it sync with the cloud
    - Done. Restart from the beginning.

As I found out, that duplicate files could be created, I changed the workflow like this:

- Copy and move the files on the local storage as desired, without having Viivo running
    - One day, start FreeFileSync to copy the changes to another local storage
    - Start Viivo and let it sync with the cloud
    - Close Viivo
    - Compare Files again with FreeFileSync to find if duplicate files can be found. If so, remove the duplicates on either side.
    - Done. Restart from the beginning.

So FreeFileSync is not running constantly.

Any ideas?

I think I follow your flow but I'm curious as to what problem you are trying to solve. Most cloud sync software runs on Linux, Windows and Mac so if Viivo is handling the encryption and the cloud is handling the sync what is FreeFileSync doing?
    --
    Matt

Hey matt,

ok. Find here an example:

- Copy and move the files on the local storage as desired, without having Viivo running.
    One file is named something.pdf
    - One day, start Viivo and let it sync with the cloud.
    - After Viivo is done with it's work, I find the following files:
    something.pdf
    something (1).pdf

So what I see as a result here is, that somehow the synchronization created a copy of the original file. This does not happen with all my files, but only a few occassionally!

As there are a lot of files in my folders, I am not able to find these mistakes immediately. That is why, I created an additional local copy by using FreeFileSync. This gave me the opportunity to find those mistakes easily, if I first sync with FreeFileSync and let Viivo run only afterwards.

Hope this was a bit clearer.