Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viivo End of Life - questions

Viivo End of Life - questions

Hi,

What is the difference between "End of Life" and "servers shutdown"? Viivo End of Life date is July 1st, 2017. Servers shutdown is on July 1st, 2018. After the service has been shutdown, it is possible to continue to use Viivo, but it will not be possible to register new devices, or create new Viivo Assets. Till July 1st, 2018 Viivo is going to work with all its features. So, what "End of Life" means for me as a single customer? Does it mean that starting from July 1st, 2017 if there is Windows 10 or 7 update so that Viivo will have problems working, Viivo will not be updated to fix emerged issues? Or do I have safe time till July 1st, 2018 to move to another solution?

It is a really bad news for me as I get used to Viivo. I like it. The only downside is the fact that I need to clear C:/Users/... path (I do not remember the path), but I get used to it. I compared some encryption tools, but it was Viivo, which was simplest and the best for me.

Viivo Support
    @Xiao,

Your existing Viivo account will continue to function as it does now, until the server shutdown on July 1, 2018. Between, now and then, product fixes will be made available as needed.

Thank you Joe.

I thought that till July 1, 2017 everything will be normal, but then between July 1, 2017 and July 1, 2018 using Viivo will be a bit risky. You clarified.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.Nagel View Post
    @Xiao,

Your existing Viivo account will continue to function as it does now, until the server shutdown on July 1, 2018. Between, now and then, product fixes will be made available as needed.
    This is such bad news. Viivo was the only seriously thought out service. What a bummer.

Ok, I need clarification please. 1) What changes on July 1st 2017, anything? 2) Can we still add devices and computers, and configure lockers, etc. as normal until July 1st, 2018 when everything stops, or is our ability to configure things going to be seriously crippled on this Saturday, July 1st, 2017? If being crippled on July 1st, 2017, then I have to make sure I have the setup I want, including adding other computers before then? What a bummer we didn't have more heads up. Please clarify when the functions get crippled. thank you much.

@EdJunkie,

There is some info in the Viivo End of Life e-mail sent to users as well on this page: https://viivo.com/shutdown .

As I understand the situation, everything is going to work well (all Viivo features are available, Viivo updates will be available if necessary) till July 1, 2018. After that date (https://viivo.com/shutdown):

The Viivo service will remain online until July 1st, 2018. Users of the free and commercial versions will have one year of support in which it is recomended that they move their data to a different service. While it is possible to continue to use Viivo after the service has been shutdown, it will not be possible to register new devices, or create new Viivo Assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao View Post
    @EdJunkie,

There is some info in the Viivo End of Life e-mail sent to users as well on this page: https://viivo.com/shutdown .

As I understand the situation, everything is going to work well (all Viivo features are available, Viivo updates will be available if necessary) till July 1, 2018. After that date (https://viivo.com/shutdown):

@Xiao

Thanks for helping.... I guess I would have better understood if they had been more clear as to what was actually happening and when.... like:

Timeline:
    July 1st, 2017 - Announcement of "End Of Life" - (No actual changes to service, or any degradation of features)
    July 1st, 2018 - Servers shut down. Service Ends. (You will need to have moved your data by this time, no additional devices or accounts can be added past this date but Viivo will continue to function)

Five major questions I have:

1) Can I still create other accounts after Saturday, install on new computers I buy, and set up Syncs with new email addresses, etc. i.e. Is ANYTHING changing on July 1st, 2017 ?

2) Why do they have to kill this at all? I have been using PKWare for 25+ years, they were the original .zip people. (PKZip) from the DOS days.
    3) Does it conflict or compete with their new Solutions? If not, then why not keep it? (Apparently not, since they are not offering us an upgrade to a more mature or more feature rich and similar Solution)
    4) Why not offer to continue but make it a paid version for all? (If it indeed is a unique product for them)
    5) Why don't they sell it if it doesn't compete with their other Solutions and let someone else keep it going?

Yes there are other solutions out there, but the companies are too young and volatile. PKWare will be here forever.

*** !!! What no one else seems to have is the most obvious feature and that is the Sync. Having two folders, one is your normal files, and the other your Encrypted files, that are in a folder to your Cloud. Brilliant. Transparent.

Why do good things always go away?
    Last edited by EdJunkie; 06-28-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdJunkie View Post
    @Xiao

Thanks for helping.... I guess I would have better understood if they had been more clear as to what was actually happening and when.... like:

Timeline:
    July 1st, 2017 - Announcement of "End Of Life" - (No actual changes to service, or any degradation of features)
    July 1st, 2018 - Servers shut down. Service Ends. (You will need to have moved your data by this time, no additional devices or accounts can be added past this date but Viivo will continue to function)
    Apologies for any lack of clarity around this. PKWARE will continue to support Viivo for 1 year starting July 1st, 2017.

Five major questions I have:
    1) Can I still create other accounts after Saturday, install on new computers I buy, and set up Syncs with new email addresses, etc. i.e. Is ANYTHING changing on July 1st, 2017 ?
    We've actually already disabled new account creation. We don't want to bring new users to the solution at this point. We will not stop account transfer events, which are defined as existing accounts logging into a new device. That flow will work for another 1+ year. Once the servers are shutdown, account transfer will stop working (there is no server to facilitate the transfer)

If we get a support request that requires us to "undo" something, we will of course undo it over the next year, after which we will not be available for assistance. During the next year we will monitor for active devices and actively launch campaigns encouraging those users to transition to something else. You need to transition not because your local device software will catastrophically stop working on July 1st, 2018 but because we will be unable to help you if it does.

2) Why do they have to kill this at all?
    There are a lot of reasons companies kill projects. The most common being failure to achieve commercial measures of success. Others include things like increasing a team or organizations focus, lowering support burdens, etc. Yes, Viivo attracted an "OK" sized fanbase but nowhere near the size it needed to be to fund the product people, engineers, quality and tech support folks sitting in desks every day working on it.

I have been using PKWare for 25+ years, they were the original .zip people. (PKZip) from the DOS days.
    Thanks. PM me your address and I'll send you a t-shirt.

3) Does it conflict or compete with their new Solutions? If not, then why not keep it? (Apparently not, since they are not offering us an upgrade to a more mature or more feature rich and similar Solution)
    No conflict or competition with current solutions. Bit of a company mission conflict, actually. PKWARE has sold to large organizations for the last 20+ years. Viivo was our fist pro-sumer play in a really long time. It ramped to around 100K users which is nowhere near the hundreds of thousands or even millions of users competitive solutions garnered. Just because you are unique, does not mean you are interesting

4) Why not offer to continue but make it a paid version for all? (If it indeed is a unique product for them)
    Good question. This was an option that we discussed at length several times. At the end of the day, though, there weren’t any scenarios that we thought would justify the resource burn. And the one thing we kept hearing is that most people think their data should be safe in the public cloud WITHOUT having to buy anything extra. The idea that they would need a second technology to achieve that is actually offensive to them. The idea that they would need to PAY for this secondary technology makes them apoplectic.

It became clear to us that the market isn’t moving the right direction for Viivo to be converted to a paid service. This wasn’t an easy decision for us to make—a lot of us, including our leadership team, absolutely love Viivo. But given that today most people feel pretty good about how Apple, Microsoft, Google and Dropbox protect their data, we felt that this was the right thing to do.

5) Why don't they sell it if it doesn't compete with their other Solutions and let someone else keep it going?
    Uses core IP in other PKWARE products. Same reason we can't just open source it and give it to the community.

Yes there are other solutions out there, but the companies are too young and volatile. PKWare will be here forever.
    But only because we're willing to make the really hard decision to end of life products that fail to achieve our definition of success. We've done it before and will do it again if we need to.

*** !!! What no one else seems to have is the most obvious feature and that is the Sync. Having two folders, one is your normal files, and the other your Encrypted files, that are in a folder to your Cloud. Brilliant. Transparent.
    It's why we loved it too!!!

Why do good things always go away?
    #reasons
    Last edited by matt; 06-28-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling :P
    --
    Matt

@matt

Thanks for explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    There are a lot of reasons companies kill projects. The most common being failure to achieve commercial measures of success. Others include things like increasing a team or organizations focus, lowering support burdens, etc. Yes, Viivo attracted an "OK" sized fanbase but nowhere near the size it needed to be to fund the product people, engineers, quality and tech support folks sitting in desks every day working on it.
    No conflict or competition with current solutions. Bit of a company mission conflict, actually. PKWARE has sold to large organizations for the last 20+ years. Viivo was our fist pro-sumer play in a really long time. It ramped to around 100K users which is nowhere near the hundreds of thousands or even millions of users competitive solutions garnered. Just because you are unique, does not mean you are interesting
    As an individual user, I think, Viivo should have more offensive marketing. When looking for the solution, I tried 2-4 other programs (no more than 1 hour or hours or 1 day of usage) before I came across to Viivo. Once installed, I fell in love with it. Quick installation, quick setup, everything minimalistic, clear layout, everything easy to find. Other programs were not clear to setup, does not have the features I wanted or encrypted the file names without the possibility to uncheck it. I am forced to go through the process of finding another solution again. Previously I used Cloudfogger which was also stopped, but was also a good solution.

Good question. This was an option that we discussed at length several times. At the end of the day, though, there weren’t any scenarios that we thought would justify the resource burn. And the one thing we kept hearing is that most people think their data should be safe in the public cloud WITHOUT having to buy anything extra. The idea that they would need a second technology to achieve that is actually offensive to them. The idea that they would need to PAY for this secondary technology makes them apoplectic.

It became clear to us that the market isn’t moving the right direction for Viivo to be converted to a paid service. This wasn’t an easy decision for us to make—a lot of us, including our leadership team, absolutely love Viivo. But given that today most people feel pretty good about how Apple, Microsoft, Google and Dropbox protect their data, we felt that this was the right thing to do.
    It is always better to have two protections than one. Cloud provider may secure my files, but I fell good when I also do it by myself.
    At the beginning it may not be clear, but then it is obvious. Free solutions must earn their money in some way. When I use a paid service, I support it and the company has money to make its solution better. That's the reason people uses paid firewalls, VPNs or antiviruses or other programs.

The other trick is that Viivo keeps my files safe on my computer as well. So once it is stolen, a thief would not be able to look into my files on my hard drive.

@matt

Tried to PM you as you requested. HAL didn't like the idea.

Switch to another encryption solution - CloudMounter

I've come across the news that PKWARE company is going to stop the Viivo encryption service.

Due to this reason, I offer to try CloudMounter for Mac users (https://cloudmounter.net/) as the another encryption solution.
    FYI: we use AES256 encryption standard, implemented with Apple’s CommonCrypto library. Encryption of online files became available in CloudMounter v2.0 in April 2017.

Pay your attention that Eltima Software provides 50% migration discount for all Viivo users, go to https://mac.eltima.com/mount-cloud-discount.html